Favorite Russian cake “Napoleon” with scalded cream
The cake “Napoleon” appeared so long ago that nobody can find out the exact time when it was first made.
When it first arrived on the scene, it was called the “thousand layers” cake. It wasn’t until the 19th century, that it became well-known and got its modern name. It was named by chef Marie-Antoine Carême, who modernized the recipe. However, it is unclear why she chose to name the cake after the famous commander and emperor.
The Napoleon cake has already taken its place in every housewife’s recipe book, because it’s easy to cook and it taste just as delicious as the most exquisite deserts. There is a great number of question about the cream cooking. Most housewives prefer custard cream. It’s low-fat and healthier than butter cream. But you need to take into account several nuances to get a delicious cream for your cake.
Custard cream recipe for the napoleon cream
- 1 tablespoon of cream (20% fat);
- 4 tablespoons of sugar;
- 1 teaspoon of starch;
- 3 eggs.
How to make the custard cream for the Napoleon cake:
- Take a pan. It will be better if it’s an enameled one. Add the sugar, starch, and eggs; stirring well for 1-2 minutes. Then add the cream and place the pan on the stove.
- Continually stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. Your main task is not to let the cream boil. Otherwise, it will clot and won’t be suitable for use. Warm the mixture up till it becomes thick. Then let it cool.
You can also do a chocolate cream for the Napoleon cake.
Chocolate cream recipe for the napoleon cake
- 1 tablespoon of milk;
- 2 tablespoons of flour or potato starch;
- 100 gram of chocolate;
- 2 eggs;
- 1/3 teaspoon of sugar (or better powdered sugar);
- 50 gram of butter;
- 2 gram of vanillin.
How to make chocolate cream for the Napoleon cake:
- Warm the milk, add the starch and flour and stir it up well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Pour into the milk and stir well. Then break the chocolate bar into small pieces and add them to the cream mixture.
- Place the cream mixture on the stove and stir it constantly. Keep it on the stove until you get the mixture of sour cream-like consistency. Then let it cool down. After it becomes cool, add soft butter and stir up everything once more.
There’s one more variant of cream for the Napoleon cream – sour cream custard.
Sour cream custard recipe for the napoleon cake
- 500 gram of sour cream (20% fat);
- 600 ml of milk;
- 2 tablespoons of starch;
- 3 eggs;
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (or better, powdered sugar);
- 2 gram of vanilla.
How to make sour cream custard for the Napoleon cake:
- Pour a glass of milk into a bowl, add the starch and let dissolve, add the eggs and sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the rest of the milk into the pan and put it on the stove. Let it boil and then turn the heat to low. Pour in the mixture of eggs and starch and mix up everything carefully. Warm the mixture well, stir it constantly, being sure not to let it boil.
- After you take the mixture from the fire, add the vanilla and cool it down until it’s room temperature. Then you need to add the sour cream (it should be thick) and the custard for the cake will be ready.
You can make the custard for the Napoleon cake more flavoured by adding a tablespoon of cognac or liqueur. One more variant is to add two tablespoons of fried and well-chopped nuts into the cream mixture at the beginning of cooking process.