Every girl wants to have beautiful and healthy hair. However, many people mistakenly believe that it will take too much time, and simply give up before bothering to learn about the proper care. Soon they begin complaining about brittle and split hair. Let’s see, why does hair get split ends? To begin with we will identify the causes of split ends and talk about the proper care. You will also learn the professionals’ advice and how to make an at home mask for dry hair ends.
The article content
Well-groomed hair and a hairdo are an integral feature of a feminine beauty. Beautiful hair attracts attention and deserves admiration. But the modern pace of life often leaves no time to give our hair the care it requires.
You have dry hair ends – what should you do? You can periodically cut off the lifeless ends. Fighting the consequences, however, this will not solve the problem itself. One can endlessly trim their hair, losing it centimeter by centimeter, and a week later discover the splitting strands yet again. Let’s not panic! Here we will reveal the cause of the problem, make every effort to fix it, and the result will exceed all your expectations!
Reasons We Get Split Ends
There are a lot of reasons, but try to find the one that most likely fits your situation.
- Lack of vitamins and microelements. There are two ways to correct it. First review your diet and add to it more fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, unrefined vegetable oils and nuts, which are rich with Omega-3 acids. The second method is easier – choose a suitable vitamin complex. The most important vitamins for hair are: A, C, E, D, H, F, PP, B1, B2, B3, B6, B7, B8, B9, B12. Microelements necessary for healthy hair include: zinc, calcium, magnesium, silicon.
- Lack of moisture. Moisture for your hair must come primarily from within. Drink no less than two liters of water a day. In a dry room, use a humidifier or a water spray.
- Unhealthy eating and bad habits. Eating fried, spicy, overly fatty foods and sweets might be detrimental to the health of your hair.
- Alcohol abuse leads to destruction of the entire group of vitamins B and A.
- Even one teaspoon of a refined sugar contributes to premature skin aging and hair loss. It also leads to washing off of calcium from the bones, because absorption of sugar requires large amounts of calcium. So, try limiting the amount of sweets that you eat. A serving of a fresh cheese with sour cream for dinner would make up for the lack of calcium in your body.
- Caffeine washes off iron, calcium, zinc and potassium from the body, and destroys vitamins B and PP.
- Nicotine is an enemy of selenium and vitamins A, C and E.
- Various diseases. Girls might have splitting hair ends because of infections and chronic diseases of the internal organs. In most cases the problems lie within the gastrointestinal tract. Because of them the body can absorb and assimilate less vitamins and microelements.
- Use of antibiotics, stress and unfavorable environment might adversely affect the state of microflora in your body. As a consequence worsens the absorption of nutrients, iron and calcium, decreases synthesis of vitamins. To eliminate this cause from our list add kefir, bio-icecream and bio-yogurts to your diet. Or regularly take supplements containing probiotics.
- Genetic predisposition. Heredity is responsible not only for hair color and thickness. You can also inherit early gray hair, bald head and predisposition to the brittle, dry and splitting hair from your parents. It is impossible to argue with one’s genes, the only advise is to improve the care and nutrition of your hair.
- Wrong care. Pay attention to the way you wash, dry and comb your hair. There are a few secrets.
- The shampoo should be selected strictly for the type of your hair. Do change the brand at least once a year.
- Thoroughly wash off the masks, balms and conditioners. Rinse for the last time with cool water.
- Do not rub your hair with a towel, just roll it in a turban and wait until the towel soaks all the moisture, and then dry your hair with a blow-dryer.
- Comb only dry hair, preferably with a ceramic comb.
- Neglecting hats. Wear a hat in a cold weather, and if your hair is long, hide it under your over clothes. Otherwise, you might get not only split ends, but also disrupt the blood flow to the hair follicles,which leads to early baldness. A scorching sun is also harmful. Ultraviolet rays destroy the top layer of hair leading to their dehydration. Wear a hat in the summer as well. Use a lot of moisturizers and a shampoo with a UV filter. Salted sea water makes hair dry and combined with the sun it intensifies the harmful effects, leading to fading and discoloration of your hair.
- Hairdos and styling. These include frequent coloring, perm, the use of curlers, ironing, heated rollers and a large number of hairsprays, foams and mousses. In short, in pursuit of excellence and for your desire to be beautiful you pay with the health of your hair. No less harm comes from the back combing, using tight rubber bands and harmless hairpins that pull together your hair and break it in two.
- If you have very long hair, it is not surprising that the ends would split. It just means that the natural lubrication produced by the sebaceous glands is not enough for the full length of your hair. Use a specialized oil for the split hair ends and regularly cut them by one or two centimeters.
Now, knowing all the issues that adversely affect the health of our hair we will gradually get rid of them. Once we have identified the reason (it is possible to do it in parallel), we begin dealing with it’s consequences, using special masks for dry hair ends.
If you have found the reason why you have brittle hair and split ends and have taken action, but you still have dry hair ends, what should you do next? Masks are a sure way to solve the problem! Thanks to their help women in ancient times could boast luscious braids. Here we have “grandma’s recipes” for masks against the split ends.
To prepare the mask you would need: yeast – 2 teaspoons; kefir – 50 ml.
- Mix the east in with the kefir, let it draw for about 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Apply the mixture to the split hair ends or to the whole length.
- Wrap your hair in a plastic film and a warm towel (you can put on a shower cap or an ordinary plastic bag).
- In 30 minutes wash the mask off with warm water.
Egg mask to cure splitting ends
You will need: 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp of a castor oil.
- Mix the ingredients in the stated proportion.
- Massage into your hair roots and leave for three hours.
- Wash off with a shampoo.
- Instead of an after-shampoo balm it is better to use water mixed with lemon juice.
Henna mask for brittle and splitting hair
If you do not wish to change your hair color, use a colorless henna. It has the same healing properties as the usual “red” one: nourishes the scalp, improves blood circulation, takes care of dull and damaged hair, strengthens and straightens it, smooths hair scales. Keep in mind that henna has a drying effect. If you have dry hair, add one teaspoon of olive oil to the mask.
For the preparation you will need one bag of henna per each 30 cm of your hair length.
- Cover henna with boiling water (1part of henna per 3 parts of water) and stir thoroughly.
- The mixture must sit for 15 minutes.
- Apply the warm mush by rubbing it into the hair roots, as well as along the entire length. Wash off in half an hour without any shampoo.
Honey-and-egg mask for splitting hair ends
- Grind the yolk with honey, add the olive oil.
- Apply to the roots and to the entire length of your hair.
- Massage the scalp for three to five minutes.
- Put on a shower cap and wrap the hair with the warm towel.
- Wash it off with warm water in 20-30 minutes.
Oil for Splitting Hair Ends
The ordinary oils, which can be purchased at a pharmacy are an alternative to the expensive oils for split ends that are sold in retail stores. A variety of vegetable oils have a well proven effect. Which one is the right one you can find out only by experience. For better results alternate and vary masks and oils.
To prepare an oil compress to cure the split hair ends you can use:
- burdock root oil extract,
- olive oil,
- jojoba oil,
- castor oil,
- almond oil,
- flax oil,
- coconut oil,
- raisin-seed oil.
- Wash your hair with a shampoo and let it dry naturally a little.
- Warm the oil in a water bath.
- Rub it into your scalp, then along the entire length of your hair, paying special attention to the tips.
- Put on a plastic shower cap and over it a warm towel.
- Wash everything off in an hour with warm water mixed with a bit of a lemon juice.
We hope that we have answered the question of why you have splitting hair ends, and that our tips will help you achieve the best results for repairing them. Just keep in mind that hair masks are effective only when used regularly. Use a freshly prepared mask or oil two or three times a week for treatment and once a week for prophylaxis. Positive attitude plus a little hard work – and you will have great results in no time!